Linking People to Fruit, Nut, Vegetable & Medicinal Crop Landscapes
- Careful site analysis, assessment and soil testing
- Perennial plants arranged in polycultural support guilds to provide functions such as soil fertility and pollination.
- Reliance on liberal use of various mulches to build rich soil, hold moisture and suppress vegetation
- Record keeping of species and varieties that work well in different locales, microclimates, etc…
- Ongoing evaluation
- Proactive, continued stewardship
Ned Phillips-Jones studied aquaculture at Hampshire College later focusing on permaculture design. As part of his Division III thesis project Ned founded Greenwich Forest Garden, a biodiverse perennial landscape of nutritious and useful species surrounding a building in the Greenwich residential area of campus.
Since graduating he founded Delicious Habitat LLC and works to facilitate permaculture and ethnoecology awareness.